Texas Surf Resort Temporarily Closes After Man Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

Adjust Comment Print

BSR Cable Park voluntarily closed after the CDC required testing of its waters after learning that a New Jersey man, who recently died, had been a guest at the park.

A New Jersey surfer is dead after contracting a rare and deadly "brain-eating amoeba" weeks after he swam at a water resort in Texas.

"The CDC collected water samples and are now investigating to find the source", Kelly Craine, a spokeswoman for Waco-McLennan County Public Health District, told CBS.

The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.

According to a GoFundMe page, Stabile contracted naegleria fowleri, which the page says has only been diagnosed 143 times in the U.S.in the last 55 years. Doctors determined he had been infected by Naegleria fowleri - commonly known as the "brain-eating amoeba" - which has a fatality rate of 97 percent. The pain was so severe that he couldn't speak coherently.

According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri causes the onset of primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a brain infection that leads to the destruction of brain tissue and be fatal.

Amazon to Raise Its Minimum U.S. Wage to $15 an Hour
And that's before taxes and other expenses are taken into account. "Obviously, it is great news for Amazon workers". Most workers at Amazon's United Kingdom warehouses now receive £8 an hour, dependent on their location.

Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesman Kelly Craine told The Associated Press on Monday that a team from the CDC conducted a range of testing at the facility.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. said it will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Fabrizio Stabile's death.

The Naegleria fowleri amoeba is a free-living amoeba found in warm freshwater ponds, lakes and rivers, which feeds on bacteria but can cause a lethal infection in humans.

Stabile's obituary said that he passed away surrounded by his family on Friday, September 21 at the Atlantic City Medical Center.

A GoFundMe page has been created by Stabile's family and friends to help bring awareness to the rare but preventable infection. It takes an average of five days for symptoms to appear exposure, with headache, fever and nausea the main symptoms. "Even so, this drug is not easily accessible", Stabile's friend wrote.