"Because Mangkhut will bring winds and rains of extraordinary speeds, scope and severity, our preparation and response efforts will be greater than in the past", Lee said.
Gusts of 100 miles per hour were still lashing Hong Kong, and more than 2.5 million people had been evacuated from the region.
Shenzhen also canceled all flights between yesterday and early this morning.
Along the coast, the gambling enclave of Macau, which was hit hard by Super Typhoon Hato last August, closed all its casinos, and all fishing boats from China's Guangdong province have been called into port. Macau suffered catastrophic flooding during Typhoon Hato a year ago, leading to accusations of corruption and incompetence at its meteorological office.
Mangkhut is expected to weaken into a tropical depression by Tuesday.
Airports and high-speed railways in Guangdong, too, were shut down, throttling traffic in one of world's most urbanized and densely populated regions, with 100 million people.
Philippine authorities said a baby and a toddler were among the dead, majority in landslides in mountainous areas that left at least 13 missing.
"They were barricading doors with sandbags, tying the handles together with zip ties which was a little bit scary", she said.
Philippine officials have said in the past that gold mines tunneled by big mining companies legally or by unauthorized individuals and small outfits have made the hillsides unstable and more prone to landslides. Police Superintendent Pelita Tacio said 34 villagers had died and 36 were missing.
Ravens, Bengals back together after last season’s thriller
It's hard not to wonder where the Cincinnati Bengals offense and quarterback Andy Dalton would be without star wide receiver A.J. The Ravens have always been known for their physical play, but the Bengals showed plenty of toughness of their own.
After tearing through Luzon and pummelling Hong Kong and Macau, the storm made landfall in mainland China late Sunday.
On Monday morning, shopkeepers in Macau were hosing down their stores which had been caked in mud after the floodwaters receded.
With damaged roads preventing the use of heavy equipment, soldiers, police and miners used shovels and channelled water from a nearby stream to loosen the earth.
Mangkhut earlier lashed the Philippines, sparking landslides and building collapses that killed at least 65 people, with another 43 missing. The disaster has already left five people injured in Macao, according to local media.
As it descends on the South China Sea, the Chinese government has issued the evacuation of 2.45 million people from Guangdong province.
Still, the Philippines appeared to have been spared the high number of casualties many had feared.
Mayor Victorio Palangdan of Itogon town in Benguet province, among the worst-hit by the typhoon that struck Saturday, said at a news conference that of the 40 to 50 people thought buried, there's a "99 per cent (chance) that they really are all dead".
About 87,000 people had evacuated from high-risk areas of the Philippines.
There is also concern over the economic cost of the typhoon, which has caused extensive damage to farmland in Cagayan, a key agricultural province.
The National Food Authority planned to release almost 5,000 bags of rice to relief agencies and local government units, the Philippine Information Agency stated.