Wisconsin man contracts rare blood infection from dog

Adjust Comment Print

Greg Manteufel's symptoms began with fever and vomiting, as if he had the flu. By the next morning, his temperature had soared and he was delirious. His wife, who took him to the hospital, has said that those bruises were not there just before she took him to the hospital.

Upon arrival at the hospital, she discovered that her husband was covered with bruises all over his body like he had just been beaten with a baseball bat.

She said her husband was heading into the operating room again on Thursday and still had three more surgeries to go, but that he was looking forward to being fitted for prosthetic limbs.

The patient, who paints houses for a living, can no longer ride his favourite Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Doctors found that the infection was caused by the bacteria Capnocytophaga, which is found in the saliva of dogs and cats. Blood tests soon revealed the cause of his symptoms.

The doctors tried treating Greg with antibiotics but severe clots blocked the flow of blood in his body, causing tissues and muscles to die.

The bacteria, called Capnocytophaga canimorsus, "just attacked him", Dawn said, and it did so quickly and aggressively.

"Why him? Why did this happen to us?".

Trump agrees to let insurers sell cheaper health plans than ObamaCare
These plans won't have to cover as many medical services and are exempt from covering people with pre-existing conditions. They usually exclude coverage for critical health services that consumers have come to expect their policies to cover.

The doctor said animal lovers have no need to panic: They're more likely to die in a auto accident than to be infected by the bacteria.

In 2016, the Journal of Hand Surgery wrote there had been 484 cases of sepsis from a dog or cat's saliva since 1961, making it a "comparatively rare condition". But in rare cases, the bacteria can poison the blood and cause death. The bacteria could have come from any of those dogs that licked him, Dawn said.

Dawn claimed she does not know which dog carried the bacteria as her husband had been around eight dogs, including one that belongs to them, before he fell sick.

Greg has been at Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee for about a month now. "Take what you need, but keep me alive", he told doctors cutting away the diseased tissue. Then they would sell their house to buy a one-story house.

"His nose will need extensive repairs, which means he will need plastic surgery to rebuild a new healthy nose", it added.

Manteufel remains in the hospital, where he'll receive additional treatment and prosthetics; his next stop is a rehabilitation facility. A GoFundMe campaign has raised almost $30,000 as of Wednesday. But it's usually in people who are immuno-compromised and usually follows a dog bite.

Greg Manteufel has been around dogs his entire life, his wife says.