"This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist, told Fox 6 Now.
He was not bitten by the animal, with medics saying it is rare for a person to fall victim to such an infection when they haven't been bitten. He had somehow contracted the bacteria Capnocytophaga Canimorsus.
The infection caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop, and the circulation to his limbs decreased, causing those limbs to turn black.
Within days of being admitted to the hospital, he had to have both of his feet amputated, but as the damage grew more severe, he had to have both of his legs amputated above his kneecaps. When that wasn't enough either, doctors had to remove half of both forearms as well.
The Manteufel family has created a GoFundMe page to raise money for prosthetic limbs for Greg. Among the operations he will need is plastic surgery to rebuild a healthy nose. His wife Dawn says he told the doctors to do whatever they needed to keep him alive.
Through a blood test, doctors diagnosed the Wisconsin resident with an infection caused by Capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacteria often found in dog and cat saliva.
Zimbabwe's ruling party ZANU-PF wins majority seats in parliament
The electoral commission warned that final results of the presidential first round may not be known until Friday or even Saturday. Commission chairwoman Chigumba has flatly denied allegations of bias and strongly disputed accusations of rigging.
A 48-year-old man with a history of good health and who has spent his life around dogs was forced to have all of his limbs amputated after contracting a rare blood infection that likely came from his own pooch.
Greg Manteufel's wife Dawn has described her husband as a very active person who enjoyed riding his motorcycle.
After discovering the Manteufels have a pet dog named Ellie, the medical staff told Dawn that her husband likely was infected after being licked.
One 2014 study from Japan found the bacteria to be present in 69 percent of dogs and 54 percent of cats. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the bacteria Capnocytophaga live in the mouths of dogs and cats. The people most at risk for this infection are those with weakened immune systems, according to the CDC.
The bacteria can be transmitted by biting, licking or even close contact with canines or felines.
Dog bites are known to cause extreme medical problems, but we don't often worry about affectionate gestures like licks.