Diver involved in Thai cave rescue considers legal action against Elon Musk

Adjust Comment Print

Musk had earlier provoked condemnation after tweeting that the Thai rescue chief, who had declined the submarine prototype offer, was not really in charge of the operation.

Unsworth was asked about Musk's intervention on CNN and made his thoughts clear.

Unsworth, who says he has spent the last six years exploring the cave, described it as a "second home".

He told CNN: 'It just had absolutely no chance of working.

Unsworth explained that Musk "had no conception of what the cave passage was like", and that the length of the entrepreneur's vessel would have hindered it from navigating the cave. "It was just a PR stunt".

Musk megafans - who are a particularly wonderful genre of angry online dude - argue that the billionaire should not be criticised for attempting to help, even though his efforts ended up being pretty neutral in the actual rescue. The billionaire initially doubled down on the comments made on social media, but has since deleted them.

Elon Musk has come under fire following inflammatory comments against a British caver who assisted in the recent Thailand rescue mission to save a boys' football team and its coach.

The Thai Navy has since said it may use the submarine at some point in the future, but if Unsworth is to be believed, it won't be for tricky cave rescues.

Police release body camera footage of fatal shooting of South Shore man
Eddie Johnson said he made the decision to release the video "because the community needs some answers and they need it now". Guglielmi said the crowd was incited by false reports , including that the man was unarmed or had a concealed carry permit.

"Water level was actually very low and still (not flowing) - you could literally have swum to Cave 5 with no gear, which is obviously how the kids got in". Huge credit to pump & generator team. He wrote: "We will make [a video] of the mini-sub/pod going all the way to Cave 5 no problemo".

Musk then responded in a spree of now-deleted tweets by referring to Unsworth as a "pedo guy".

Musk's tweets weren't met positively by netizens.

BBC reporter Jonathan Head defended Unsworth, tweeting at Musk an account of his herculean efforts and concluding: "It's somewhere between extremely probable and nearly certain that the 13 would have died trapped in Tham Luang without Unsworth's role".

Taylor Nichol, a former Herald journalist, had sharp words for Musk too.

Furthermore, Musk insisted that his submarine (designed in consultation with "cave experts on the Internet", he wrote) would have worked.

During the rescue, Musk had tweeted about his idea to help.

"Is Elon Musk gonna acknowledge deleting the pedo tweet or", Feinberg tweeted today, July 16. Musk responded to photos of the training session on Twitter, adding that his engineers were "also getting feedback from the British dive team on how to improve the design for future applications".

Comments