Two dead, one seriously injured following severe Tuesday storms

Adjust Comment Print

Powerful thunderstorms that swept through CT are being blamed for at least two deaths and knocking out power to tens of thousands of customers.

The storms capable of producing damaging winds, large hail and isolated tornadoes appear to be over for now.

An 11-year-old girl was killed on Tuesday afternoon when strong winds caused a tree to fall on a parked auto in Newburgh, New York, the Daily Freeman newspaper reported.

The severe storms have ended, but more rain is expected in the region Wednesday.

The storms brought down trees that blocked roads and forced school closures and delays.

Five people have been killed in severe thunderstorms, flash flooding, hail and winds as strong as 80 miles per hour winds in the Northeast, officials said.

Almost 500,000 customers in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Virginia were without power by late Thursday night, fewer power outages than earlier Tuesday, tracking service said.

Reds set to be involved in new Club World Cup format
In addition, the host nation will not have to be the country of the subsequent World Cup, as is the case with the Confederations Cup.

CT officials said men in New Fairfield and Danbury were killed Tuesday in separate accidents when trees fell on their trucks.

There were multiple reports of high water throughout Maryland, especially in Frederick and Montgomery counties, the Maryland State Highway Administration said.

Earlier in the day, upstate NY pounded by thunderstorms and baseball-size hail.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency in Putnam, Dutchess, Orange and Sullivan counties.

"There is still a lot of damage from the storms that rolled across the region yesterday", The National Weather Service in NY said in a tweet Wednesday.

"New York has once again withstood the fury of Mother Nature and now is the time for the state and our local partners to get communities throughout the Mid-Hudson region up and running again", the governor said in a statement.