Shasta County man confesses in TV interview to 1993 cold case murder

Adjust Comment Print

The 19-year-old's skeletal remains were found in rural Northern California months after the vehicle he'd been driving was found mysteriously abandoned in a Costco parking lot in Redding.

"Today, the man that did it confessed, and he and two others will now be brought to justice", McAlister's uncle, Jon McAlister, .

The television station is directly adjacent to the police station.

"I'm going to turn myself in next door at the sheriff's department for a crime I was involved in years ago".

Hawkins expressed remore while talking to KRCR.

In May 1993, Hawkins, Shanna Culver and her brother Curtis Culver allegedly lured lured McAlister out to Shingletown under the guise of selling him methamphetamine.

"God and Christ and these things that have happened over the course of 25 years have pushed me and pushed me to do the right thing", he said.

"I know the wrong can't be changed, but this is the closest I can come to doing the right thing", Hawkins said in the KRCR-TV interview.

Instead of making a drug deal, McAlister reportedly told police, they robbed McAlister and then he and Curtis Culver stabbed the young man to death. Once in a rural area of Shasta County, Hawkins and the Culvers conspired to murder McCalister. All three are being held on suspicion of homicide at the Shasta County Jail.

Victor identified after $50K Powerball ticket sold in Wisconsin Rapids
Ronald Ceci of Grants Pass won $2 million in the December 30 drawing by matching five numbers with a Power Play option. Pearne's prize was the second large Powerball prize won by someone in southern OR this month.

'Every minute of every day has been a nightmare, ' he said.

After Hawkins confession, Redding Police Department on Wednesday arrested Curtis and Shanna after interrogating them.

"All three ... were contacted and interviewed multiple times by investigators during the past 25 years, however all three maintained their innocence", the complaint says.

The that Hawkins met with Redding police on Tuesday. Hawkins continued, saying that there hadn't been a moment where he hadn't been remorseful for what he had done.

Hawkins and Curtis Culver are being held on $1 million bail, while the other Culver sibling is being held without bail. According to Hawkins' KRCR interview, he searched out McAlister's family and tried to own up to his actions on numerous occasions, but it just never happened.

During their interviews with police this week, Hawkins and the Culvers gave different accounts.

During the interview, Hawkins also said he even reached out to McAlister's family previous year and that he wanted to confess to his crime in front of them.

During the interview with the TV station, Hawkins shed tears and appeared shaken. "By the time I got there, his father had passed away", said Hawkins.