Released dashboard video details fatal US Park Police shooting

Adjust Comment Print

We don't know why the U.S. Park Police officers shot Bijan multiple times, or whether those officers are still patrolling the area's parkways. Video appears to show police attempting to open his driver door but Ghaisar starts to drive away again.

The driver who struck Mr. Ghaisar's Jeep got a citation for failing to "maintain proper control", according to the police report, which did not classify the episode as a hit-and-run. They have seen the video. Within minutes he was pursued by a Park Police patrol vehicle, sirens blaring and lights flashing, which was then tailed by the Fairfax County police patrol auto.

The chase continued south on the parkway, into Fairfax County.

Soon, the Park Police vehicle catches up to the Jeep, and after the Jeep stops, the police vehicle pulls up alongside it. As the officer stands near the driver's side of the Jeep pointing his weapon, the auto slowly moves forward.

More than 25 seconds elapsed between the first and last shots fired.

The Fairfax County Police Department has released video of Park Police officers shooting Bijan Ghaisar after a police chase that ended on Fort Hunt Road last November 17. After the shots are heard, Ghaisar temporarily stops his vehicle.

Oddly, the Park Police still refuses to release the names of the officers responsible for Ghaisar's death. Nearly immediately it shows officers stopping Ghaisar in the middle of a road. The passenger-side officer again approaches with gun leveled, but does not move to the door handle.

The chase continues along several residential streets; at 7:41 p.m., the Jeep stops at a stop sign, and the Park Police vehicle wheels around in front of it, effectively blocking it. When the vehicle starts to move again, five gunshots are heard.

Ghaisar's Jeep goes down a slight embankment and comes to a rest against a stop sign with its driver's side tires in the air. One shot is heard immediately when the vehicle lurches, then three more rapid-fire, then a fourth.

Kentucky attack was 11th school shooting in 23 days of 2018
Bevin said earlier in a statement , "This is a tremendous tragedy and speaks to the heartbreak present in our communities". Students at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, showed up to class Tuesday for a day of learning.

A third officer in a different uniform then appears onscreen with a gun drawn. A few seconds later the Jeep drifted forward again and two more shots were fired at close range. FCPD Chief Edwin Roessler chose to make the video public after handing it over last month to FBI investigators who are looking into Ghaisar's killing.

"The family is grateful to Fairfax County Police Chief Edwin Roessler for all he has done to ensure the appropriate amount of transparency throughout this process".

"Bijan Ghaisar was repeatedly threatened by over-aggressive and out-of-control law enforcement officers, after he drove away from a minor traffic incident in which he was the victim and in which there was little property damage and no known injuries", Austin said in a Wednesday statement. He said he was releasing the video as a matter of transparency.

"I was stunned that these officers did this to this young man", Austin said.

"While respecting the integrity of the investigation, I also recognize the desire for more information and details surrounding the investigation", U.S. Park Police Chief of Police Robert MacLean said in a statement.

The nighttime chase that ended in the fatal gunning down of 25-year-old Bijan C. Ghaisar in November is now subject to an investigation, but little information about why the man was shot has been made public. But local authorities on Wednesday released a disturbing dashcam video that sheds new light on the shooting and could put pressure on the federal government to bring charges against the agents involved.

The officers involved, who have not been identified, are on administrative leave.

"Public and community trust remain paramount to our agency and profession", he said.

The FBI later took over the investigation and Fairfax County police revealed one of their dashboard cameras captured the shooting.