Auburn coach Gus Malzahn says Cam Newton treated differently by National Football League refs

Adjust Comment Print

Just two weeks ago, the league mandated more extensive concussion testing.

The NFL learned about the injury while interviewing Panthers officials over the phone this week as part of its investigation whether concussion protocol was properly followed with Newton, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

So why wasn't Newton taken to the locker room?

According to the NFL, this action required a locker room examination due to the inclusion of the notice that league will "require a locker room concussion evaluation for all players demonstrating gross or sustained vertical instability (e.g., stumbling or falling to the ground when trying to stand)".

If the National Football League determines that protocol was violated, the Panthers could face a penalty. So it's also not very surprising to hear he's not happy about all the big hits Newton takes.

YouTube removes Pop Blast channel after series of slanderous, disturbing videos
I've been on YouTube for a long time. "Listening to that clip just now, I didn't laugh; I didn't think it was amusing ". He went on to say that it was his "thing" and gimmick that he used to shock people earlier in his YouTube career.

While a knee problem would fall into that category, Newton made no reference to it following the game, instead blaming the loss of balance on getting poked in the eye. As he walked to the sideline, Newton went down to the ground, where he pointed to his eye as trainers checked him out.

"I know it was a precautionary concussion protocol thing that happened, but it wasn't my head, it was my eye", he said, per NFL Network's Tiffany Blackmon.

"He's one of the biggest, strongest guys and he takes hits other quarterbacks don't", Malzahn said on CBS Radio on Wednesday.

On the surface, that excuse seems like a hard one to believe, especially in light of how often the NFL's concussion protocol gets ignored for star players. "We did everything the right way".

It was determined that proper safety guidelines were followed in that case.